Skip to main content

HARAJUKU (*Fangirl squeel*)

Probably the most tourist-y thing I've done at all since I've arrived here! A haven in Tokyo for teenage fashion, strange or not. I went their with Ayuko(left) and her friend, Miho(right), who is super nice and super smart!
We took the train from Sayama to Harajuku and MAN as we got closer did the train get CROWDED! But considering it was the last weekend of summer vacation for most schools, it shouldn't really have surprised me.

Let me indulge in my girlish-ness and say OMG: so much shopping and so many people!! Let me give you guys an idea of how crowded it was:
That is the place where we ate crepes (so delicious...a strawberry cheesecake crepe...I couldn't finish it). Kinda hard to see from this angle, but the line stretched around the corner and it was so hot! Aaah! But the crepe was worth it.

I can't really remember how many stores we looked at...probably ten or so. But it was worth it! If anyone cares about what's in in Japan right now the answer is
1. Polka dots
2. Lace and
3. Fuzzy things (like furry earmuffs!)
I like fuzzy things! They call that 気持ち which means anything from emotions, feelings, snug, and comfortable.

Just some FYI about Harajuku, it's the Tokyo teenage fashion district, and know for unusual clothing...like lolita, goth punk etc. I was half surprised to find that most of the stores are actually pretty normal. And I only saw a couple of people in funky getup....this one girl had waist length pink hair!! (Unfortunently, it was walking by so no picture of that.) The "teenage" part of that equation mean that there are also idol shops (as I call them) where you can buy posters and other goods of your favorite idols.
And you guys have no idea how PACKED it was down there. Lots of pretty boys in Japan! Though I'm more partial to this guy:
Matsumoto Jun (or MatsuJun). ((Josephine--high five!! He's everywhere!))
And that pretty much sums up my Harajuku experience. I'm much happier (and my wallet lighter) for it.

Comments

  1. Yay! I love the fuzzy earmuffs picture. You should post more like that. :D

    Sounds like you are having an amazing time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a pretty store! Amazing. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Ethan. Go with the fuzzy earmuffs! They are awesomeness!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY! MATSU JUN! too bad he wasn't 10 years younger... but who cares any ways the only thing that bothers me about him is he needs to eat more... A LOT MORE! Have fun Claire and i'm very glad your wallet is lighter cause we don't any back pain or anything like that :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. A teen shopping district. Kind of scary thought!?

    It's so great to see you out and exploring. Hope you get to mix more traveling adventures in with your study.

    It's been great to read your entries thus far. Can't wait to hear more!

    Love to you, Clare

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Final Touring Excursions

Tomorrow is my last day. It felt strange to write that sentence, knowing that I've been gone six weeks, which feels like both no time at all but also forever. Even though this is my fifth time coming to Japan (and the fourth for an protracted trip), the coming-and-going is something I don't get used to. Just as I start getting over my "ugh, I just want to go home" hump and settling in, well, it actually IS time to go home.

What have I done the past few days?

Well, on Sunday my host family and I took a drive to Yamanashi prefecture (re: near Mount Fuji) to visit the Oshino Hakkai, the Eight Sacred Ponds of Oshino. According to the signage, when people used to hike up Mount Fuji for pilgrimages, they would purify themselves in the ponds before starting their journey. And having stuck my hand in an (acceptable) corner of the main pond, Wakuike, it was FREEZING. Some other ponds have specific purposes, however. One was for people who wanted a good marriage, for instance.

Cat Cafe

Today I went with my host brother to a cat cafe for "research". Yes it is a cafe and yes it has (canned) coffee, but also I really really really wanted to go to a cat cafe. By doing a little research, I found one off a convenient train station that not only didn't require a reservation in advance, but had free drinks and was actually significantly less expensive for more time than other cafes. On to Nyankoto!

For cat lovers, this is paradise:

This shop had fifteen cats, each with their own names and personality described in a photo book:

This cat's name is Kinta and he's a mix--though most of the cats there were breeds I was unfamiliar with and had fur of various kinks and degrees of fluffiness. 
They were all very social, active cats as well.

Kinta greeted my host brother by literally jumping on his back. 
The other cats often ran around chasing each other (one was a very energetic kitten, so he was always pouncing on the others) or flopping down to be pet in co…

Shibuya and Ebisu

The past few days I've been in the Shibuya and Ebisu areas (think: south-west side of Tokyo) to check out some of the up-and-coming cafes, as well as wander around the neighborhood. I've decided that wherever I go, I'm going to find something to do in addition to spending 3-5 hours in coffee shops--while the research and the people I meet are incredible I do regret that I don't get to spend as much time exploring the other aspects of Tokyo. 
Yesterday in Shibuya I checked out The Local Coffee Stand, Coffeehouse Nishiya, and The Theater Coffee. The Local is a pretty unassuming space, even though it is on a main street. It's goal is to be the sort of jumping-off point for people just getting in to specialty coffee: they showcase beans from local roaster and run a website called "Good Coffee" in both Japanese and English to help people find "that local spot" in a neighborhood near to them. I'm including a link to the site, HERE. CLICK THIS.

Co…