Skip to main content

Yokohama and More Anime Club; Epic Weekend Part 1

So I have lots and lots to tell you guys, and to draw out the suspense, I'm going to give it to you guys in two parts.

On Saturday my host dad came back for the weekend (he got home while I was getting my hair bangs had grown down to about the bridge of my nose, and constantly flipping them out of my eyes made me seem like I had a tic or something). Since none of us had any plans for the next day (one of my rare, AFS event-free days) he asked if I wanted to go somewhere. My host mom and I discussed some options, and decided to go down to Yokohama for half a day. We left at nine in the morning, and the drive down took about an hour forty-five. I slept for most of it, but before I dropped off one of the last things I saw was Mt. Fuji positively glowing in the morning sun. Hard to top that.

This is where we went in Yokohama. I have to say, even if it doesn't tell from that picture, if I have to move back to Japan...Yokohama would be the place. It is very modern, and the streets remind me of Chicago, wide and open. The red brick buildings, which used to be warehouses, are actually a series of very chic stores. They were having a Christmas market, so I was happy with the most traditional Christmas foods I've seen here. Also reminded me of a smaller version of Chicago's (and forgive me, I'm going to butcher this spelling) Christkindel fest that they have in Daley Plaza.

After we wandered around, we went to Yokohama Chinatown for lunch.
Had these very yummy dumplings that are filled with a broth, so if you're not careful they squirt all over you. Then we had a lunch set: fried rice, wontons, noodles, tofu, and jelly for dessert. Then, pleasantly full, we drove back home.

When I got home, I finished up the two paintings I needed to do for Anime Club (aparently there's going to be some sort of Open House or something and everyone needed to draw two pictures. Here's one:
That is the giant robot Dix-Neuf from the Original Video Animation (OVA--it was never a manga) Diebuster (or Aim for the Top 2, whichever you prefer). Watercolors. Haven't painted in watercolors in a long while, and I am very happy at how the shading turned out. Maybe thirty minutes for the initial pencil sketch and 4 hours for the painting? (Includes the time it took for the paint layers to dry.)

Then for fun, I decided to take step-by-step photos for my second painting.
Initial pencil sketch of Mashu from the OVA The Money of Soul and Possibility Control (or [C]). Time...25 minutes.

I did the red of her outfit and horns first. That in itself is actually two layers: one for the light-red (at the top of her stockings) and a second for the darker red (that does the shading in her skirt). Time: 30 minutes (I was being really careful with it.)

Again, this one is actually three layers later (not really step-by-step is it?). Two layers for the purple: one light, and one dark for her ribbon and at her feet, and one layer for her skin. Also did some final touches on the red shades.

Second, subtle layer for the skin. Two layers of brown for her hair, grey for her shadow (yes, she floats!),  and then I sharpened watercolor pencils as thin as I could to lightly outline her and help hide the pencil lines. Did some subtle shading with them as well, and used them to fine-tune the features of her face (like her eyes and mouth). Then I let the whole thing dry, took off the tape I'd used to keep the paper from crinkling (I really wish I'd figured that out for the first drawing....), and trimmed the paper so it would be even.

Then I just turn it in tomorrow! So that was Sunday. Next time: TOKYO DISNEY!


  1. Why didn't I know you were such a talented artist? Those are amazing. Nice work!


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Taking a Breather

Sometimes when you're in Tokyo, as wonderful as its bustling atmosphere is, you just want to forget you're in the middle of Tokyo.

A few weeks ago I was chatting with a guy from Sweden who regularly came to Japan on business and he said that despite how much he loved Tokyo he could never live here because of the lack of green space. Tokyo has its parks, of course, like all major cities, but if you want unspoiled greenery you have to be willing to head at least forty minutes outside of the sprawling metropolis limits. In winter this desire to surround oneself with greenery might not matter as much, but now that spring is seeping into the atmosphere and the upcoming sakura season is on everyone's mind (NHK even puts out an annual "forecast" for sakura!) the neon lights and concrete jungle start to feel a little oppressive.

That's when little hideaways like the Sato Sakura Museum and Kohmeisen come in handy.

The Sato Sakura Museum is a small museum in Nakameguro…

Short Hair, Don't Care: Model Behavior

I like to think I have a wide range of accomplishments under my belt:

Accidentally over-caffeinated myself conducting ethnographic research--check
Read 3+ books in a single day--check
Never (yet) pulled an all-nighter--check
Sung at Carnegie Hall--check
Published a poem--check

But now I can add a decidedly interesting item to that list:
Been a hair model in Japan--CHECK.

It's a bit of a long story.

It all starts with coffee, actually, like many of my adventures here in Japan do. I was checking out a coffee shop in the too, too cool area of Daikanyama (no, seriously, that entire neighborhood is just Too Cool for me, I don't even know why I was there). There I met stylist Yusuke, who asked if I wanted to appear in a PR photoshoot for the opening of his salon brand's newest branch, boy Tokyo, Harajuku. They're (wisely!) making a site to appeal to foreign clientele--it's a smart move because it's really hard to find a place that has stylists who truly are comfortab…

Feeling a Bit Blue

It astounds me that it's already the end of August. Time has seemed to pass in a bit of a blur: one hot, sticky mess of 100-degree days and only mildly more bearable evenings. I was also fortunate to visit the U.S. for a week (not Chicago I'm afraid, but Wheeling, West Virginia and then San Francisco) for a family reunion. It was lovely to see all the aunts, uncles, and cousins who I hadn't seen in person for several months, if not years. But given the short visit I essentially spent two weeks with my body clock completely confused about what time zone it was supposed to be in.  However, I'm now I'm back in Japan for the near future and have essentially settled back in to my usual rhythm of life. 
This past weekend I decided to engage with my arts-and-crafts side. The summer of 2009, when I first visited Japan, I was lucky enough to try my hand at aizome (indigo dying) in Kyoto. Recently I had a hankering to try it again, and e-stumbled upon a shop in Asakusa call…