Skip to main content

An End and a Beginning

Today was both a happy and a sad day. Today my host brother, who has been an exchange student in Germany for the past year (that's why I have his room...ahaha) returned to Japan. My host dad came back for the occation, but unfortunently after this his work becomes busy, so it was also the last day I would get to see him before I return to Chicago.

Ryo's (my host brother) plane arrived at eight in the morning, which meant that my host mother and father had to leave the house a little before five in order to pick him up. Ayuko and I wisely--in my opinion--elected to wait at home, earning ourselves some extra (and MUCH NEEDED) sleep. They didn't get back home until a little after twelve, which makes sense once you factor in all the waiting at the airport and the travel time home.

Spending a year away from Japan has definitely made him more open than most Japanese, since the first thing he did when he got home was give me a hug instead of a bow to say 'hi'. My first impression of him was good: a very nice, energetic and funny guy. He showed us photos from Germany, which only reinforced my desire to visit there someday, since the scenery/architecture is simply amazing. I'm a little architecturely starved over here, the Japanese buildings are really just greyish-pink rectangles. Not very interesting.

He battled through jet-lag until the early evening, but was out by 9pm. Before he went to sleep, we took a family photo. (Fun times experimenting with my camera's timer feature.)


(Yeah I had some centering problems.) What was funnier is that for the longest time we couldn't figure out how to start the timers, so we kept getting into position and smiling into nothing before bursting into laughter. But we finally got it.

So it seems like he'll be sleeping in the spare room just off the kitchen for the remaining three weeks I'm here. (That had worried me at one point, since I feel a little guilty for taking up his room. But my host mom told me not to worry about it. But still...) We also take the same train to school in the morning (though I get off well before he does). It should be a fun remaining three weeks here. This weekend is chock full of AFS events, so I'll have more news for you guys soon enough!
Countdown: 19 days

Comments

  1. Hi Claire! I've been reading your blog because I've been thinking about doing the same. My question is: would you recommend doing a semester like you, or a year-long program? I can't decide whether I would be better off going for a year or if it would be too long, or if a semester would be better, even though it's a shorter amount of time.
    Thanks! :)
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your flash gave everyone oil stops lol :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey this is Claire in response to Ellie's question. The answer is "it depends". What year in high school would you be in? If the answer is freshman or sophomore, I would say go for the year (if you can get credit, of course) because six months, while it seems long, is actually rather short. If you're a junior, like me, I'd do fall semester just because dealing with college tests abroad just sounds like too much stress.
    Hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, that helps. I'd actually be a Senior this coming fall, which means we're around the same age, I think. I was mostly wondering because it seemed to me that 6 months would seem like plenty of time until it came to an end and then I would regret not having spent more time there.
      Thanks for the feedback, I really wanted to ask someone who's had experience with the whole process.

      Delete
  4. You doing anything this summer? We should go to Germany. :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

文化祭!(Bunkasai--Cultural Festival Days 1 and 2) and Man I'm Tired!

So this weekend was Musashino Joshi's annual Cultural Festival, an event that all high schools (I would assume) have, where the school is open to the public and classes and clubs put on events, or set up quiz games or food booths. Essentially it's like a carnival. Traditional culture...not so much (though there are aspects of it). Mostly it's just good fun. My class was doing a chocolate banana food booth, so on Friday (the school-wide prep day, even though techincally it was another Japanese holiday) we got cardboard and began making our booth, which was Hawaiian themed. And you'd think it wouldn't take very long, but it took the entire day and then about half an hour on Saturday. (Also, what' you're seeing is Summer Uniform Form 1.5, where there's the sweater over the shirt.) But in the end the booth turned out pretty sweet, if I may say so myself: The top says Chocobana, and the sides of the poles are made to look like palm trees with a monkay on it

Enoshima: The Heavenly Maiden and the Dragon

This past Monday was a national holiday -- Mountain Day -- so, of course, Troy and I headed to the beach instead. Well, to an island near a beach since (as some of you may know) I'm not exactly the beach-going type. Plus I'd just climbed Mount Fuji, which was more than enough mountain for me. Enoshima is a small island off the coast of Kanagawa Prefecture, fairly near Kamakura. It's connected to the mainland via a bridge, so you can just stroll on over from the train station. The entire island is dedicated to Benzaitan, the goddess of everything that flows -- time, water, speech, music, and knowledge. According to the "Enoshima Engi," (a history of the shrines and temples on Enoshima) there's also a legend associated with the creation of the island involving Benzaitan and a dragon. In brief, the area around Enoshima was once wracked by violent storms and earthquakes. Eventually the tumult ended and a heavenly maiden (Benzaitan) descended from the clouds.

Homecoming

This is it. It's Friday, February 3rd and in less than 24 hours I will leave this house for Tokyo train station, which will take me to the airport, which will take me...home. Most of this week has been taken up with goodbyes: to schoolmates and teachers, and later, close friends. There were tears involved. I think the photos will do it a lot more justice than I could: Kohei, from tennis group. All the tennis people got together for dinner at an okonomiyaki (think cabbage pancake, with yummy stuff like shrimp in it) but first we went to a boardwalk which had nighttime light shows. Top: Anime Club. They threw a small party for me, where we ate lots of food and watched (what else) anime and talked. Bottom: one of my English classes. They asked me to teach them an American game for the last day, so I taught everyone how to play Heads-Up 7-Up. They were pretty good at it. The other exchange student, Nom, and my Japanese teacher. The last view of school: the walk leading u