Skip to main content

Semi-Pro= Semi-Famous?

So yesterday, while productive, was actually rather dull--I went to two events, neither of which were terribly inspiring and hence no post (one was about these little weird fried fish that some school children ate for lunch if that gives you an idea of the strength of the news that day...)

Today was more interesting and just to change up the format of my posts I'm going to give you a time-specific blow-by-blow.

10am: I arrive promptly at the office. It is mostly deserted as usual. I sit down at my desk and putz about

11am: Still putzing. I have since printed out a recipe for pound cake I might make for my host family and gotten online access to the Chicago Tribune from my mom.

11:40am: Decided to start looking at courses for next fall instead. Frontiers and Controversies in Modern Astrophysics, The Young Adult Dystopian Novel, and Bioethics and Law sound interesting. I make a note on my calendar and also realize that 8am breakfast feels like a long time ago.

12pm: I (finally) head out with a reporter from the sports section, Mr Sugiyama, and we drive to the baseball stadium where the local minor league, the Ishikawa Million Stars, are having practice. I meet most of the foreign athletes (see facebook status about how slightly awkward THAT was) and then get to briefly interview one of their pitchers, Ken Nishimura, who was a pro pitcher until he hurt his elbow.

2-ishpm: Lunch. Ramen. Enough said.

3pm: Return to the office. I write up a little bit about the interview along with some commentary about the differences between American and Japanese baseball, at least in terms of how fans act during games.

3:15pm: I realize that my article on curio was printed and it's HUGE.

5pm: I'm let out early for once and hardly know what to do with myself.

6:59pm: Get a call that I have to be in early tomorrow morning. That explains why I was let out early today.

7pm: Out to dinner at PariMila, a French/Italian fusion (ish) restaurant with Nick.

And that's basically my day in a nutshell. More putzing today than usual, but fairly normal.


Popular posts from this blog

Final Touring Excursions

Tomorrow is my last day. It felt strange to write that sentence, knowing that I've been gone six weeks, which feels like both no time at all but also forever. Even though this is my fifth time coming to Japan (and the fourth for an protracted trip), the coming-and-going is something I don't get used to. Just as I start getting over my "ugh, I just want to go home" hump and settling in, well, it actually IS time to go home.

What have I done the past few days?

Well, on Sunday my host family and I took a drive to Yamanashi prefecture (re: near Mount Fuji) to visit the Oshino Hakkai, the Eight Sacred Ponds of Oshino. According to the signage, when people used to hike up Mount Fuji for pilgrimages, they would purify themselves in the ponds before starting their journey. And having stuck my hand in an (acceptable) corner of the main pond, Wakuike, it was FREEZING. Some other ponds have specific purposes, however. One was for people who wanted a good marriage, for instance.

Cat Cafe

Today I went with my host brother to a cat cafe for "research". Yes it is a cafe and yes it has (canned) coffee, but also I really really really wanted to go to a cat cafe. By doing a little research, I found one off a convenient train station that not only didn't require a reservation in advance, but had free drinks and was actually significantly less expensive for more time than other cafes. On to Nyankoto!

For cat lovers, this is paradise:

This shop had fifteen cats, each with their own names and personality described in a photo book:

This cat's name is Kinta and he's a mix--though most of the cats there were breeds I was unfamiliar with and had fur of various kinks and degrees of fluffiness. 
They were all very social, active cats as well.

Kinta greeted my host brother by literally jumping on his back. 
The other cats often ran around chasing each other (one was a very energetic kitten, so he was always pouncing on the others) or flopping down to be pet in co…

Shibuya and Ebisu

The past few days I've been in the Shibuya and Ebisu areas (think: south-west side of Tokyo) to check out some of the up-and-coming cafes, as well as wander around the neighborhood. I've decided that wherever I go, I'm going to find something to do in addition to spending 3-5 hours in coffee shops--while the research and the people I meet are incredible I do regret that I don't get to spend as much time exploring the other aspects of Tokyo. 
Yesterday in Shibuya I checked out The Local Coffee Stand, Coffeehouse Nishiya, and The Theater Coffee. The Local is a pretty unassuming space, even though it is on a main street. It's goal is to be the sort of jumping-off point for people just getting in to specialty coffee: they showcase beans from local roaster and run a website called "Good Coffee" in both Japanese and English to help people find "that local spot" in a neighborhood near to them. I'm including a link to the site, HERE. CLICK THIS.