Skip to main content

On Beans

Today I'm going to talk about beans. The past few days I've been to several coffee shops that do their own roasting and take pride in that fact--it's their kodawari. This is not an easy concept to translate. The dictionary translates it as "obsession" but it's less like unhealthily obsessing over something about more like a meticulous example of dedication to the craft and consideration to the customer. I'll illustrate with some examples about coffee beans.

The first shop I went to is one I went to frequently last year, both for their affordable lunches and calming atmosphere. Blanket Cafe is nearly my perfect shop: open, quaint, filled with plants, and the owners (a young married couple) are amazingly friendly. I hadn't given them any advance warning of my return, so when I walked in their door shortly after they opened, they were quite surprised! But after I explained why I was back in Kanazawa, they were happy to answer all my questions, particularly the ones I had about coffee beans.


This is a sack of beans before roasting. They're the color of murky jade, slightly waxy to the touch, and smell like green wood after you've accidentally broken a branch off a tree.

Before these beans are roasted, they're combed through by hand for imperfections. Black spots (from insect damage), misshapen beans, or those that are too small are discarded.


In small portions, the beans are panned out onto a tray and divided into lines. Once the lines have been gone through, the beans are re "shuffled" and gone through again--three or more times per small portion of the previous sack.


There's an example of a bad bean.

Then the beans are roasted (more on that later). And then they're combed through again. Once isn't enough. Even AFTER roasting, beans that aren't the right color, or burnt,  or again misshapen (if the bean warps during roasting it means that it was overripe) are again thrown out. All this is to make sure that nothing corrupting the taste of the coffee makes its way into the customer's cup.


The day after, I went to a different shop called Transit Beans. It's a small, four-seat coffee shop that's actually in the Master's house--he converted a small room once he opened it. He was also kind enough to explain in detail (detail that I'm SURE I missed a lot of) how coffee beans are roasted. Though he strongly emphasized how individual everything is: the same bean roasted in three different shops will have three different tastes, because even thirty second's different in roasting time changes the flavor. The temperature of the roasting room and air flow changes the flavor. The terroir of the bean changes the flavor. The literal personality of the master affects the flavor.


After going through the same bean sorting process, the beans are placed in the rotating drum of the roaster. Temperature is meticulously controlled for the type of bean and desired strength of the roast: higher temperature/ longer roasting time both affect if it's a light or dark roast. If you can see in the little hole, the beans are still green.


About six minutes later the beans start to turn toasty as they roast from the inside-out. As the gas inside them expands, little popping sounds can be heard--literally like popcorn. It's also incredibly fragrant.


This particular roast was done after exactly thirteen minutes and twenty seconds. Then the beans are cooled on a spinning rack so they don't over roast because of any residual heat. Based on years of data, the Master of Transit Beans can adapt his roasting technique based on the season and the current crop of beans so he can maintain consistency in the taste of his coffee, because inconsistency is a sure way to drive away customers. Even without meaning to, without keeping track of how the coffee turns out after a roasting, the taste of the coffee can change. This drive towards a consistent taste that is unique to that particular Master is also an example of kodawari and passion for the craft and the customer. The Master of Transit Beans said that a good server of coffee should be able to tell from the customer's face how they're feeling--if they don't feel well, or are more tired than usual--and change how they make that day's cup of coffee to maximize its impact. Kodawari is always keeping the other person in mind.

Someone asked me if I would put any of my research theories on the blog in addition to factual stuff like this. Once a week or so I'm going to review all my field notes and maybe then put some preliminary thoughts and observations up, just in case anyone is interested. Also it'll be a good summary and re-focusing task for me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

文化祭!(Bunkasai--Cultural Festival Days 1 and 2) and Man I'm Tired!

So this weekend was Musashino Joshi's annual Cultural Festival, an event that all high schools (I would assume) have, where the school is open to the public and classes and clubs put on events, or set up quiz games or food booths. Essentially it's like a carnival. Traditional culture...not so much (though there are aspects of it). Mostly it's just good fun. My class was doing a chocolate banana food booth, so on Friday (the school-wide prep day, even though techincally it was another Japanese holiday) we got cardboard and began making our booth, which was Hawaiian themed. And you'd think it wouldn't take very long, but it took the entire day and then about half an hour on Saturday. (Also, what' you're seeing is Summer Uniform Form 1.5, where there's the sweater over the shirt.) But in the end the booth turned out pretty sweet, if I may say so myself: The top says Chocobana, and the sides of the poles are made to look like palm trees with a monkay on it

Enoshima: The Heavenly Maiden and the Dragon

This past Monday was a national holiday -- Mountain Day -- so, of course, Troy and I headed to the beach instead. Well, to an island near a beach since (as some of you may know) I'm not exactly the beach-going type. Plus I'd just climbed Mount Fuji, which was more than enough mountain for me. Enoshima is a small island off the coast of Kanagawa Prefecture, fairly near Kamakura. It's connected to the mainland via a bridge, so you can just stroll on over from the train station. The entire island is dedicated to Benzaitan, the goddess of everything that flows -- time, water, speech, music, and knowledge. According to the "Enoshima Engi," (a history of the shrines and temples on Enoshima) there's also a legend associated with the creation of the island involving Benzaitan and a dragon. In brief, the area around Enoshima was once wracked by violent storms and earthquakes. Eventually the tumult ended and a heavenly maiden (Benzaitan) descended from the clouds.

Homecoming

This is it. It's Friday, February 3rd and in less than 24 hours I will leave this house for Tokyo train station, which will take me to the airport, which will take me...home. Most of this week has been taken up with goodbyes: to schoolmates and teachers, and later, close friends. There were tears involved. I think the photos will do it a lot more justice than I could: Kohei, from tennis group. All the tennis people got together for dinner at an okonomiyaki (think cabbage pancake, with yummy stuff like shrimp in it) but first we went to a boardwalk which had nighttime light shows. Top: Anime Club. They threw a small party for me, where we ate lots of food and watched (what else) anime and talked. Bottom: one of my English classes. They asked me to teach them an American game for the last day, so I taught everyone how to play Heads-Up 7-Up. They were pretty good at it. The other exchange student, Nom, and my Japanese teacher. The last view of school: the walk leading u