Skip to main content

Turtles in Tokyo (oh, and Coffee)

Yesterday was my first day of research in Tokyo. In the morning I successfully navigated a multi-train, hour and a half trip from Sayama to the far East side of Tokyo (the Monzennakacho/Kiyosumi area, for anyone who knows any Tokyo geography). I had two coffee shops as my goal: the Kiyosumi location of Blue Bottle Coffee (which some of you may know as James Freeman's California-based chain) and the first in Japan, as well as the nearby Arise Coffee Entangle which appeared on every one of the "where to drink coffee in Tokyo" lists I found online.


The Blue Bottle Coffee in Kiyosumi (which is actually quite a residential neighborhood) is a 7,000 square foot monstrosity with a cafe space, roasting space, and other work areas all in one building. The inside is also pretty industrial.


They only had communal tables, which I found interesting, and I ended up having a nice conversation with a mother-daughter pair across from me. But, I confess, the coffee wasn't for me. It was very fruity and, like the mother said across from me, "almost like ume (plum) juice". I'm sure that flavor profile is perfectly desirable for some, but I like a more bitter brew.

So I walked down the street to the conveniently located Arise Coffee Entangle, which was very pleasant.


I was a large fan of the (fake) mounted rhino head. The Master and his assistant were very chatty and kind--offering tidbits about their personal coffee philosophy (customer communication is key!) and recommendations for other shops around the city.

Since Arise was located directly across from Kiyosumi Park, I decided to check it out. It's one of the Nine Cultural Heritage Gardens, a remnant from the Meiji Period (1870s). Formerly the mansion of a merchant, one Kinokuniya Bunzaemon, it was later donated to the city after the Great Kanto Earthquake. It was a lovely park: a large pond with several scattered islands and a path that ran around its circumference. There were also several stepping-stone pathways that extended out onto the water, so you could get very familiar with the local wildlife:




The garden itself was also incredibly scenic. It's very easy to imagine that you've stepped out of the incredibly crowded Tokyo city and into some other world, but then if you look anywhere beyond right in front of you, you can see the towering apartment buildings looming above the garden wall and the illusion is quickly shattered.






As I was leaving, the gatehouse had an area set up for people to write their Tanabata wishes. Tanabata--July 7th--is a holiday that celebrates the one day that the Cowherd and the Weaver can meet (the rest of the year they're separated by the expanse of the milky way). People write their wishes and hopes for the year on sheets of colorful paper and tie them to branches of bamboo so they come true.


My slip says "sotsugyou ronbun wo jouzu ni kakimasu youni" which means "I want to write a good graduation thesis"!


There it is with the rest of everyone's wishes, so of course it's going to come true, now!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Final Touring Excursions

Tomorrow is my last day. It felt strange to write that sentence, knowing that I've been gone six weeks, which feels like both no time at all but also forever. Even though this is my fifth time coming to Japan (and the fourth for an protracted trip), the coming-and-going is something I don't get used to. Just as I start getting over my "ugh, I just want to go home" hump and settling in, well, it actually IS time to go home.

What have I done the past few days?

Well, on Sunday my host family and I took a drive to Yamanashi prefecture (re: near Mount Fuji) to visit the Oshino Hakkai, the Eight Sacred Ponds of Oshino. According to the signage, when people used to hike up Mount Fuji for pilgrimages, they would purify themselves in the ponds before starting their journey. And having stuck my hand in an (acceptable) corner of the main pond, Wakuike, it was FREEZING. Some other ponds have specific purposes, however. One was for people who wanted a good marriage, for instance.

Cat Cafe

Today I went with my host brother to a cat cafe for "research". Yes it is a cafe and yes it has (canned) coffee, but also I really really really wanted to go to a cat cafe. By doing a little research, I found one off a convenient train station that not only didn't require a reservation in advance, but had free drinks and was actually significantly less expensive for more time than other cafes. On to Nyankoto!

For cat lovers, this is paradise:

This shop had fifteen cats, each with their own names and personality described in a photo book:

This cat's name is Kinta and he's a mix--though most of the cats there were breeds I was unfamiliar with and had fur of various kinks and degrees of fluffiness. 
They were all very social, active cats as well.

Kinta greeted my host brother by literally jumping on his back. 
The other cats often ran around chasing each other (one was a very energetic kitten, so he was always pouncing on the others) or flopping down to be pet in co…

Shibuya and Ebisu

The past few days I've been in the Shibuya and Ebisu areas (think: south-west side of Tokyo) to check out some of the up-and-coming cafes, as well as wander around the neighborhood. I've decided that wherever I go, I'm going to find something to do in addition to spending 3-5 hours in coffee shops--while the research and the people I meet are incredible I do regret that I don't get to spend as much time exploring the other aspects of Tokyo. 
Yesterday in Shibuya I checked out The Local Coffee Stand, Coffeehouse Nishiya, and The Theater Coffee. The Local is a pretty unassuming space, even though it is on a main street. It's goal is to be the sort of jumping-off point for people just getting in to specialty coffee: they showcase beans from local roaster and run a website called "Good Coffee" in both Japanese and English to help people find "that local spot" in a neighborhood near to them. I'm including a link to the site, HERE. CLICK THIS.

Co…