Skip to main content

Leaving (Again) On a Jet Plane

Hello everyone! It's Claire again, here to revive (for much longer than a summer this time) this Japan-focused blog. Since the last time I've written there have been several major updates to my life:

1. I finished my thesis! Those of you who have followed me for some time might recall that in the summer of 2017 I spent six weeks in Japan researching coffee--the end result was a 65-page monstrosity about history, modernity, gender, and generations.

2. I graduated from Yale! It hasn't quite sunk in that I'm actually done: that probably won't hit me until the end of the summer when I don't fly back to New Haven and move myself, yet again, into a dorm room.

3. Perhaps most importantly, I got a job at Nitori, a Japanese furniture, home-goods, and logistics company. For those of you interested in the company overall, I'm providing a link to their English-language website HERE.


So. I'm moving to Tokyo. Tomorrow, in fact--surprise! I've packed my life into one cardboard box (to be shipped to my new apartment), two suitcases, one duffel bag, and one backpack. These don't, admittedly, contain my winter clothes which won't make their way to me until the fall, but I still feel I've done a decent job of paring down my belongings into manageable, movable sizes. Not to mention, my room at home is being transformed into a guest room so nearly all of my belongings have been transferred to boxes that are now being stored in the basement. I'm honestly quite proud that about 3/4 of these boxes are full of books.

For those of you who are curious (or those of you who need a refresher, since it is quite confusing) here is the basic explanation of my new role with Nitori.

In Japan, you're not exactly hired for a specific position, instead you're hired for the company as a whole. Large companies in Japan typically practice a sort of "rotational" system, where employees are transferred every 2-3 years between departments. So at Nitori, while everyone begins in retail, assigned to work at a specific store, someone could be transferred from Logistics, to HR, to corporate etcetc. People do end up specializing in one area, but you begin as a generalist, able to adapt to whatever position the company needs filled.

I'm also beginning at the retail level. I've been assigned to work in the Nitori located within the Shinjuku Times Square Takashimaya, a well-known department store (like Nordstrom's). The company has found me an apartment in the Setagaya neighborhood of western-Tokyo, and I'll be commuting from this 26.08 square-meter studio to work on the train. Officially I start July 1, so I'll likely be spending the next week+ settling into my new place, sorting my finances, and getting acclimated to living on my own and the work that will be expected of me.

To answer your question: YES, I'm very excited. I'm excited to be back in Japan, I'm excited to be working for Nitori, I'm excited to live abroad and work on my language skills. But also YES, I'm incredibly nervous. Worried. Thrilled. Terrified. Sad to leave behind my friends and family and only city and house I've ever lived in (dorm life at Yale notwithstanding). All of the above, emotionally, I'm feeling.

So buckle up. Bookmark this blog's homepage. Check out my Instagram (link above). I'll be posting regularly about life and work and my general adventures and I'm excited to share them with you all. As always, thank you for your support and your faith in me. I'll see you again in the land of the rising sun.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Final Touring Excursions

Tomorrow is my last day. It felt strange to write that sentence, knowing that I've been gone six weeks, which feels like both no time at all but also forever. Even though this is my fifth time coming to Japan (and the fourth for an protracted trip), the coming-and-going is something I don't get used to. Just as I start getting over my "ugh, I just want to go home" hump and settling in, well, it actually IS time to go home.

What have I done the past few days?

Well, on Sunday my host family and I took a drive to Yamanashi prefecture (re: near Mount Fuji) to visit the Oshino Hakkai, the Eight Sacred Ponds of Oshino. According to the signage, when people used to hike up Mount Fuji for pilgrimages, they would purify themselves in the ponds before starting their journey. And having stuck my hand in an (acceptable) corner of the main pond, Wakuike, it was FREEZING. Some other ponds have specific purposes, however. One was for people who wanted a good marriage, for instance.

Cat Cafe

Today I went with my host brother to a cat cafe for "research". Yes it is a cafe and yes it has (canned) coffee, but also I really really really wanted to go to a cat cafe. By doing a little research, I found one off a convenient train station that not only didn't require a reservation in advance, but had free drinks and was actually significantly less expensive for more time than other cafes. On to Nyankoto!

For cat lovers, this is paradise:

This shop had fifteen cats, each with their own names and personality described in a photo book:

This cat's name is Kinta and he's a mix--though most of the cats there were breeds I was unfamiliar with and had fur of various kinks and degrees of fluffiness. 
They were all very social, active cats as well.

Kinta greeted my host brother by literally jumping on his back. 
The other cats often ran around chasing each other (one was a very energetic kitten, so he was always pouncing on the others) or flopping down to be pet in co…

Shibuya and Ebisu

The past few days I've been in the Shibuya and Ebisu areas (think: south-west side of Tokyo) to check out some of the up-and-coming cafes, as well as wander around the neighborhood. I've decided that wherever I go, I'm going to find something to do in addition to spending 3-5 hours in coffee shops--while the research and the people I meet are incredible I do regret that I don't get to spend as much time exploring the other aspects of Tokyo. 
Yesterday in Shibuya I checked out The Local Coffee Stand, Coffeehouse Nishiya, and The Theater Coffee. The Local is a pretty unassuming space, even though it is on a main street. It's goal is to be the sort of jumping-off point for people just getting in to specialty coffee: they showcase beans from local roaster and run a website called "Good Coffee" in both Japanese and English to help people find "that local spot" in a neighborhood near to them. I'm including a link to the site, HERE. CLICK THIS.

Co…