Skip to main content

Leaving (Again) On a Jet Plane

Hello everyone! It's Claire again, here to revive (for much longer than a summer this time) this Japan-focused blog. Since the last time I've written there have been several major updates to my life:

1. I finished my thesis! Those of you who have followed me for some time might recall that in the summer of 2017 I spent six weeks in Japan researching coffee--the end result was a 65-page monstrosity about history, modernity, gender, and generations.

2. I graduated from Yale! It hasn't quite sunk in that I'm actually done: that probably won't hit me until the end of the summer when I don't fly back to New Haven and move myself, yet again, into a dorm room.

3. Perhaps most importantly, I got a job at Nitori, a Japanese furniture, home-goods, and logistics company. For those of you interested in the company overall, I'm providing a link to their English-language website HERE.


So. I'm moving to Tokyo. Tomorrow, in fact--surprise! I've packed my life into one cardboard box (to be shipped to my new apartment), two suitcases, one duffel bag, and one backpack. These don't, admittedly, contain my winter clothes which won't make their way to me until the fall, but I still feel I've done a decent job of paring down my belongings into manageable, movable sizes. Not to mention, my room at home is being transformed into a guest room so nearly all of my belongings have been transferred to boxes that are now being stored in the basement. I'm honestly quite proud that about 3/4 of these boxes are full of books.

For those of you who are curious (or those of you who need a refresher, since it is quite confusing) here is the basic explanation of my new role with Nitori.

In Japan, you're not exactly hired for a specific position, instead you're hired for the company as a whole. Large companies in Japan typically practice a sort of "rotational" system, where employees are transferred every 2-3 years between departments. So at Nitori, while everyone begins in retail, assigned to work at a specific store, someone could be transferred from Logistics, to HR, to corporate etcetc. People do end up specializing in one area, but you begin as a generalist, able to adapt to whatever position the company needs filled.

I'm also beginning at the retail level. I've been assigned to work in the Nitori located within the Shinjuku Times Square Takashimaya, a well-known department store (like Nordstrom's). The company has found me an apartment in the Setagaya neighborhood of western-Tokyo, and I'll be commuting from this 26.08 square-meter studio to work on the train. Officially I start July 1, so I'll likely be spending the next week+ settling into my new place, sorting my finances, and getting acclimated to living on my own and the work that will be expected of me.

To answer your question: YES, I'm very excited. I'm excited to be back in Japan, I'm excited to be working for Nitori, I'm excited to live abroad and work on my language skills. But also YES, I'm incredibly nervous. Worried. Thrilled. Terrified. Sad to leave behind my friends and family and only city and house I've ever lived in (dorm life at Yale notwithstanding). All of the above, emotionally, I'm feeling.

So buckle up. Bookmark this blog's homepage. Check out my Instagram (link above). I'll be posting regularly about life and work and my general adventures and I'm excited to share them with you all. As always, thank you for your support and your faith in me. I'll see you again in the land of the rising sun.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

文化祭!(Bunkasai--Cultural Festival Days 1 and 2) and Man I'm Tired!

So this weekend was Musashino Joshi's annual Cultural Festival, an event that all high schools (I would assume) have, where the school is open to the public and classes and clubs put on events, or set up quiz games or food booths. Essentially it's like a carnival. Traditional culture...not so much (though there are aspects of it). Mostly it's just good fun. My class was doing a chocolate banana food booth, so on Friday (the school-wide prep day, even though techincally it was another Japanese holiday) we got cardboard and began making our booth, which was Hawaiian themed. And you'd think it wouldn't take very long, but it took the entire day and then about half an hour on Saturday. (Also, what' you're seeing is Summer Uniform Form 1.5, where there's the sweater over the shirt.) But in the end the booth turned out pretty sweet, if I may say so myself: The top says Chocobana, and the sides of the poles are made to look like palm trees with a monkay on it

Enoshima: The Heavenly Maiden and the Dragon

This past Monday was a national holiday -- Mountain Day -- so, of course, Troy and I headed to the beach instead. Well, to an island near a beach since (as some of you may know) I'm not exactly the beach-going type. Plus I'd just climbed Mount Fuji, which was more than enough mountain for me. Enoshima is a small island off the coast of Kanagawa Prefecture, fairly near Kamakura. It's connected to the mainland via a bridge, so you can just stroll on over from the train station. The entire island is dedicated to Benzaitan, the goddess of everything that flows -- time, water, speech, music, and knowledge. According to the "Enoshima Engi," (a history of the shrines and temples on Enoshima) there's also a legend associated with the creation of the island involving Benzaitan and a dragon. In brief, the area around Enoshima was once wracked by violent storms and earthquakes. Eventually the tumult ended and a heavenly maiden (Benzaitan) descended from the clouds.

Homecoming

This is it. It's Friday, February 3rd and in less than 24 hours I will leave this house for Tokyo train station, which will take me to the airport, which will take me...home. Most of this week has been taken up with goodbyes: to schoolmates and teachers, and later, close friends. There were tears involved. I think the photos will do it a lot more justice than I could: Kohei, from tennis group. All the tennis people got together for dinner at an okonomiyaki (think cabbage pancake, with yummy stuff like shrimp in it) but first we went to a boardwalk which had nighttime light shows. Top: Anime Club. They threw a small party for me, where we ate lots of food and watched (what else) anime and talked. Bottom: one of my English classes. They asked me to teach them an American game for the last day, so I taught everyone how to play Heads-Up 7-Up. They were pretty good at it. The other exchange student, Nom, and my Japanese teacher. The last view of school: the walk leading u