Skip to main content

Caffeine is my Idea of Fun, Now

Hey everyone. I just realized it has been about two weeks since I've last written--sorry about that. Allow me to present the usual excuse: I was busy. In the last week of August I had what was called "Follow-Up Training," which was three days of training that focused on Nitori's elaborate system of ordering custom curtains, a refresher course on the cash register (albeit one that did include some useful tricks I didn't know), and a crash course about Nitori's furniture offerings, namely what the furniture is made of (hint: the answer 90% of the time is "medium-density fiberboard"). From that training I went into five straight days of work, including the weekend which means the store is always packed to the point of insanity; I haven't had that many consecutive days of work in a long while so, to be perfectly honest, they wore me out. 

I have managed to slip a FEW fun things into the mix, albeit a mix that is leans heavily on the coffee end of the scale. 

On the 28th I popped over to Turret Coffee, near the Tsukiji fish market, where I got to drink lattes, talk about what being "outrageous" in the world of coffee means, and eat dorayaki (super sweet, buttery pancakes filled with red bean paste; it's like a pancake sandwich). Turret Coffee was (and still is in many regards) a pioneer in Tokyo's espresso scene. Not only was it one of the first places that even offered espresso in Tokyo when it opened in 2013 (Tokyo has always had a strong pour-over scene, a remnant from the plethora of kissaten but not much in the way of espresso until recently), its owner, Kiyoshi Kawasaki, is a former Latte-Art Champion. 

Here's the Time Out Tokyo staff photographer doing his thing while I waited. It's amusing to me that every time I order a coffee I have to wait at least five minutes for them to take ~artsy photos~before I can even take a sip. So I'm just standing there, waiting, and the person who made my coffee is standing there, waiting, and silently fretting that the coffee is getting cold. 



Here's the sign outside Turret Coffee. Fun fact: the shop is named after the "turret" trucks that zip around the Tsukiji fish market. There's actually a full-sized turret in the coffee shop that you can sit on and use as either seating and/or a table. 


After finishing up my Turret Latte (which is a double-shot monster), I walked to the nearby Tsukiji Honganji--AKA the main Buddhist temple at Tsukiji. I was greeted by a very kind and enthusiastic volunteer who explained to me in an interesting mix of Japanese and English about the temple's founder, the symbolism of lotus blossoms (they bloom out of murky pond mud so they're a symbol of purity that rises from the muck), and how in our next lives we will all be reborn in Amida Buddha's "pure land" from a lotus blossom ourselves, just like Thumbelina.

I also found the exterior architecture to be quite unique for a Japanese Buddhist temple...



I also found myself in the area nearby Tokyo Tower (the Eiffel Tower of Japan complete with evening lights and a too-expensive elevator you can ride up for the views). Needless to say I only gazed at it from below, albeit from up-close.



Then this week, on my birthday, I made my way to another quirky coffee shop called Good Coffee & Good People. The owner is really chatty and welcoming and he makes lots of American pop-culture references. For instance, the name of the shop is a reference to the movie Taxi Driver while the name of his two coffee blends are Johnny B Goode and Tomando, respectively.



To close, here's a miscellaneous garden that I think screams for some inspirational phrase to be attached to it...I'm open to suggestions.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

文化祭!(Bunkasai--Cultural Festival Days 1 and 2) and Man I'm Tired!

So this weekend was Musashino Joshi's annual Cultural Festival, an event that all high schools (I would assume) have, where the school is open to the public and classes and clubs put on events, or set up quiz games or food booths. Essentially it's like a carnival. Traditional culture...not so much (though there are aspects of it). Mostly it's just good fun. My class was doing a chocolate banana food booth, so on Friday (the school-wide prep day, even though techincally it was another Japanese holiday) we got cardboard and began making our booth, which was Hawaiian themed. And you'd think it wouldn't take very long, but it took the entire day and then about half an hour on Saturday. (Also, what' you're seeing is Summer Uniform Form 1.5, where there's the sweater over the shirt.) But in the end the booth turned out pretty sweet, if I may say so myself: The top says Chocobana, and the sides of the poles are made to look like palm trees with a monkay on it

Enoshima: The Heavenly Maiden and the Dragon

This past Monday was a national holiday -- Mountain Day -- so, of course, Troy and I headed to the beach instead. Well, to an island near a beach since (as some of you may know) I'm not exactly the beach-going type. Plus I'd just climbed Mount Fuji, which was more than enough mountain for me. Enoshima is a small island off the coast of Kanagawa Prefecture, fairly near Kamakura. It's connected to the mainland via a bridge, so you can just stroll on over from the train station. The entire island is dedicated to Benzaitan, the goddess of everything that flows -- time, water, speech, music, and knowledge. According to the "Enoshima Engi," (a history of the shrines and temples on Enoshima) there's also a legend associated with the creation of the island involving Benzaitan and a dragon. In brief, the area around Enoshima was once wracked by violent storms and earthquakes. Eventually the tumult ended and a heavenly maiden (Benzaitan) descended from the clouds.

Homecoming

This is it. It's Friday, February 3rd and in less than 24 hours I will leave this house for Tokyo train station, which will take me to the airport, which will take me...home. Most of this week has been taken up with goodbyes: to schoolmates and teachers, and later, close friends. There were tears involved. I think the photos will do it a lot more justice than I could: Kohei, from tennis group. All the tennis people got together for dinner at an okonomiyaki (think cabbage pancake, with yummy stuff like shrimp in it) but first we went to a boardwalk which had nighttime light shows. Top: Anime Club. They threw a small party for me, where we ate lots of food and watched (what else) anime and talked. Bottom: one of my English classes. They asked me to teach them an American game for the last day, so I taught everyone how to play Heads-Up 7-Up. They were pretty good at it. The other exchange student, Nom, and my Japanese teacher. The last view of school: the walk leading u