Skip to main content

Churches and Concerts

Happy Halloween, guys!



This year I decided to be a witchy little pumpkin: I cut out jack o'lantern face-shapes and stuck them to an orange dress I already owned and found cute (and cheap!) orange and black witch hat-headband to top off my ensemble. A bit of a step down from the full-body Pikachu I was last year, but it'll do.

Hard to believe it's already November. I've already been here almost 5 months! The days and nights are getting colder (I'm wearing fingerless gloves as I type this) and the sun sets by 5 pm on the regular.


But! Help is on the way: the vending machines across Japan have transitioned, for the most part, to their winter offerings. Hot canned coffee or sweetened tea or even just hot lemon juice and honey, like a liquefied coughdrop. There's even cans of corn soup or beef stew you can drink for a quick "meal." I love being able to get a hot drink whenever I need one from the nearest vending machine.

Backing up a little bit. The past few days have been quite busy. Yesterday, the 30th, I was insanely productive. I woke up, worked out, went grocery shopping, went to a fantastic architecture exhibit, studied for the JLPT, made TWO bulk meals to last me for lunch and dinner throughout the week, edited a piece I'll have published in the Yale Daily News Magazine, wrote a 500 word application AND watched TV.

The exhibit was certainly the highlight of my day. It was at the National Art Center, in Roppongi, and titled "Tadao Ando: Endeavors." Tadao Ando is one of Japan's most famous architects, known for working with concrete and bringing nature into his designs, often in (honestly) inconvenient ways.






The exhibit featured excerpts from his sketchbooks, detailed models of his most famous works, interactions with clients, photographs and more. There was even a full-scale installation of his studio:


I was also surprised at the sheer number of people at this exhibition.


There were extensive lines in front of everything, and the diversity of the audience was astounding. Old, young, men, women, hipsters, matriarchs in pearls and Louis Vuitton, this exhibit attracted EVERYONE.

The highlight was another full-scale replica, this one so large it was installed in the courtyard outside the main building. It was a full-scale replica of Ando's "Church of Light," built in Ibarkai in 1989.






The outside is simple and as you can see from the vertical blueprint, the concrete walls jut out in angles that leave "gaps" in the walls that let in all the elements. While it looks cool from the outside, the inside is truly awe-inspiring.



The first thing you see is light shining through the cross-shaped gaps in the far wall (the wall that would be behind the alter), forming a blazing, blinding cross that dominates your vision. Even as you shiver in the space (because it's outside and cold and there's gaps in the walls) you can't look away from the light in front of you. The smell of cold concrete and newly-cut wood (for the pews) was crisp in the cold air and the entire space felt both exposed and protected at the same time. This was the most amazing part of the exhibit, and I feel inspired to seek out some of Ando's other buildings in the Tokyo area and beyond.

Then, today--Halloween!--I met up with a friend to go to a performance of Brahm's Deutsches Requiem at the Tokyo Metropolitan Theater in Ikebukuro, conducted by Robert Ryker.




I sang the Deutsches Requiem my sophomore year at Yale when I was a member of the Yale Glee Club, and it was amazing how much of this piece I could still remember; I had to actively resist humming and/or singing along at parts.



The concert hall also had a revolving organ! I almost expected some other Broadway-esque scene changes to happen mid-concert, like having the conductor conduct while suspended in the air or something. All in all it was a cultured and thematically appropriate (it was a requiem after all) to spend All Hallows Eve. Now I guess it's time to skip to Christmas, since they don't do Thanksgiving here in Japan...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

文化祭!(Bunkasai--Cultural Festival Days 1 and 2) and Man I'm Tired!

So this weekend was Musashino Joshi's annual Cultural Festival, an event that all high schools (I would assume) have, where the school is open to the public and classes and clubs put on events, or set up quiz games or food booths. Essentially it's like a carnival. Traditional culture...not so much (though there are aspects of it). Mostly it's just good fun. My class was doing a chocolate banana food booth, so on Friday (the school-wide prep day, even though techincally it was another Japanese holiday) we got cardboard and began making our booth, which was Hawaiian themed. And you'd think it wouldn't take very long, but it took the entire day and then about half an hour on Saturday. (Also, what' you're seeing is Summer Uniform Form 1.5, where there's the sweater over the shirt.) But in the end the booth turned out pretty sweet, if I may say so myself: The top says Chocobana, and the sides of the poles are made to look like palm trees with a monkay on it

Enoshima: The Heavenly Maiden and the Dragon

This past Monday was a national holiday -- Mountain Day -- so, of course, Troy and I headed to the beach instead. Well, to an island near a beach since (as some of you may know) I'm not exactly the beach-going type. Plus I'd just climbed Mount Fuji, which was more than enough mountain for me. Enoshima is a small island off the coast of Kanagawa Prefecture, fairly near Kamakura. It's connected to the mainland via a bridge, so you can just stroll on over from the train station. The entire island is dedicated to Benzaitan, the goddess of everything that flows -- time, water, speech, music, and knowledge. According to the "Enoshima Engi," (a history of the shrines and temples on Enoshima) there's also a legend associated with the creation of the island involving Benzaitan and a dragon. In brief, the area around Enoshima was once wracked by violent storms and earthquakes. Eventually the tumult ended and a heavenly maiden (Benzaitan) descended from the clouds.

Homecoming

This is it. It's Friday, February 3rd and in less than 24 hours I will leave this house for Tokyo train station, which will take me to the airport, which will take me...home. Most of this week has been taken up with goodbyes: to schoolmates and teachers, and later, close friends. There were tears involved. I think the photos will do it a lot more justice than I could: Kohei, from tennis group. All the tennis people got together for dinner at an okonomiyaki (think cabbage pancake, with yummy stuff like shrimp in it) but first we went to a boardwalk which had nighttime light shows. Top: Anime Club. They threw a small party for me, where we ate lots of food and watched (what else) anime and talked. Bottom: one of my English classes. They asked me to teach them an American game for the last day, so I taught everyone how to play Heads-Up 7-Up. They were pretty good at it. The other exchange student, Nom, and my Japanese teacher. The last view of school: the walk leading u