Skip to main content

Miyajima and Itsukushima

I've realized that I must be a bit of a harsh taskmaster--I just looked at my phone, and apparently over the 10-day trip I made my family walk over 15,000 steps a day.

I maintain that it's good for you.

Our second day in Hiroshima was no exception, when I brought everyone to Miyajima, the "Shrine Island" on the Seto Inland Sea. Not only is it only a short way away from Hiroshima City, it has one of the most beautiful shinto shrines I know of, Itsukushima.

The shrine has likely existed on the island in some form since the 6th century (and, like so many structures in Japan, has been burnt/destroyed and rebuilt several times-- what is "authenticity" anyways?).

The current structure of Itsukushima is similar to the shinden architecture--a main building connected to other smaller structures via corridors--that was often used during the Heian Period (794-1185) for aristocratic mansions.

The island overall was controlled by the Taira, a major samurai clan. Miyajima was one of their important religious sites, dedicated to a sea dragon deity. Although it was originally a "pure" shinto site, in the early 12th century an elaborate picture scroll of the Lotus Sutra and other Buddhist texts was commissioned by the family and gifted to the shrine.

Fitting for a sea dragon deity, the torii gate for Itsukushima appears to "float" in the sea during high tide. Since the island is considered such a holy place you used to have to enter by guiding your boat through the gate before making land. (Side note: even today the island is supposed to remain free of the purity of birth and death; pregnant women are supposed to leave the island when their due date approaches, as are the terminally ill. There are also no people interred on Miyajima.) The massive JR ferries that bring people back and forth can't pass through the gate, but coming into the island is still an awe-inspiring experience.

View of the torii during mid-tide.


The rest of the island itself is charming, with many smaller temples and shrines, hiking trails, parks, onsen (hot spring) resorts, and winding streets where you can grab some of the island's specialty oysters or piping hot momiji manju (sponge cake filled with red bean or some other delightful filling and shaped like a maple leaf).

The highlight (besides the inquisitive deer!) is the shrine.

It really liked my camera.






We had pretty spectacular timing. In the morning the tide was high, but by the afternoon the tide had rolled out and we could walk all the way out to the torii. It's 16 meters tall (52 feet)! Walking out there and realizing that you were walking "on" the sea floor was a bit of a weird experience. Comparing the water markings to my own height, at high tide the entire plain would be covered in water higher than I am tall...




Detail of one of the massive decay-resistant camphor tree pillars.

The view of the main shrine from the torii.

Another fun fact about Miyajima is that apparently the origin of the shamoji: the utensil you use to scoop up rice. The "world's largest" shamoji is on display and you can buy little ones as souvenirs. 


I can only imagine some giant dragon god needing a scoop this big for his bowl of rice!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

文化祭!(Bunkasai--Cultural Festival Days 1 and 2) and Man I'm Tired!

So this weekend was Musashino Joshi's annual Cultural Festival, an event that all high schools (I would assume) have, where the school is open to the public and classes and clubs put on events, or set up quiz games or food booths. Essentially it's like a carnival. Traditional culture...not so much (though there are aspects of it). Mostly it's just good fun. My class was doing a chocolate banana food booth, so on Friday (the school-wide prep day, even though techincally it was another Japanese holiday) we got cardboard and began making our booth, which was Hawaiian themed. And you'd think it wouldn't take very long, but it took the entire day and then about half an hour on Saturday. (Also, what' you're seeing is Summer Uniform Form 1.5, where there's the sweater over the shirt.) But in the end the booth turned out pretty sweet, if I may say so myself: The top says Chocobana, and the sides of the poles are made to look like palm trees with a monkay on it

Enoshima: The Heavenly Maiden and the Dragon

This past Monday was a national holiday -- Mountain Day -- so, of course, Troy and I headed to the beach instead. Well, to an island near a beach since (as some of you may know) I'm not exactly the beach-going type. Plus I'd just climbed Mount Fuji, which was more than enough mountain for me. Enoshima is a small island off the coast of Kanagawa Prefecture, fairly near Kamakura. It's connected to the mainland via a bridge, so you can just stroll on over from the train station. The entire island is dedicated to Benzaitan, the goddess of everything that flows -- time, water, speech, music, and knowledge. According to the "Enoshima Engi," (a history of the shrines and temples on Enoshima) there's also a legend associated with the creation of the island involving Benzaitan and a dragon. In brief, the area around Enoshima was once wracked by violent storms and earthquakes. Eventually the tumult ended and a heavenly maiden (Benzaitan) descended from the clouds.

Homecoming

This is it. It's Friday, February 3rd and in less than 24 hours I will leave this house for Tokyo train station, which will take me to the airport, which will take me...home. Most of this week has been taken up with goodbyes: to schoolmates and teachers, and later, close friends. There were tears involved. I think the photos will do it a lot more justice than I could: Kohei, from tennis group. All the tennis people got together for dinner at an okonomiyaki (think cabbage pancake, with yummy stuff like shrimp in it) but first we went to a boardwalk which had nighttime light shows. Top: Anime Club. They threw a small party for me, where we ate lots of food and watched (what else) anime and talked. Bottom: one of my English classes. They asked me to teach them an American game for the last day, so I taught everyone how to play Heads-Up 7-Up. They were pretty good at it. The other exchange student, Nom, and my Japanese teacher. The last view of school: the walk leading u