Skip to main content

Golden Week 2019: Exploring Setagaya's "Little Kyoto"

One of the amazing things about living in Tokyo is that I still regularly discover something new about my adopted city, if not my immediate neighborhood.

Tokyo is a city that reveals itself slowly; to the unsuspecting, yes, but it is a place that favors those who take the initiative to explore. By wandering around back alleys, following interesting sounds and smells and bursts of color. By listening to the people around you: "Did you know...?, Have you heard...?. You should..."

A while ago I heard about a Buddhist temple, Kogenin, that was near-ish to my apartment. It was pretty, as temples went, so I put a pin in it and decided that if I ever had a free afternoon I would make the 40-minute walk there and check it out. Cue the passing of some months and, finally, the advent of Golden Week.

Some of you might remember my Golden Week adventures last year, when I took advantage of the series of consecutive national holidays that fall annually around this time to visit NikkoKawagoe, the Ushiku Daibutsu, and Kamakura with Troy. This year's Golden "Week" is an unprecedented 10 days long since extra one-time national holidays were added due to the abdication of the emperor and ascension of his son, the crown prince, in his place. I certainly am not complaining about the time off work, but since it's functionally impossible to travel anywhere during this period without paying exorbitant amounts of money, I'm essentially spending it in Tokyo, bar one brief trip to Chiba and Gunma (more on those adventures in future blog posts).

Since I suddenly had all this relatively unplanned time off, I decided to finally check out Kogenin. But it turns out Kogenin is just one temple in the Karasuyama Teramachi (Temple Town), a district of 26 historic Buddhist temples, many of them transplants from other areas of the city following the 1923 Great Kanto Earthquake. Optimistically, the area is also branded as "Setagaya's Little Kyoto."

It feels a bit like I should have known this sort of cultural history was within spitting distance of the station I use for my daily commute! But the temples are best-accessed from the opposite exit I use to get to my apartment and, without already knowing they were there, I would have had no reason to wander in that direction. So thank goodness for knowledgeable local friends!

I didn't make it to all 26 temples this past Sunday, but I made it to perhaps 20 of them. Of that not insignificant number, here are my favorites:

No. 20: Kogenin. It was moved to Karasuyama in 1926 and in the middle of its pond (which has many, many turtles in it) is this smaller shrine, Ukigodo.




No. 17: Myojuji. This temple, which was originally in Yanaka, was moved to Karasuyama in 1924. It had such a righteous bloom of azaleas and wisteria, not to mention a small bamboo grove and an absolutely gorgeous guest room, which was originally part of Prince Nabeshima's house. I love how the glass windows reflect all the greenery.





No. 2: Tamonin. The actual temple itself was nothing special to look at (though there was some mysterious--at least to me--chanting and bell-ringing coming from inside the shuttered doors). What intrigued me was a stone monument just to the right of the main temple structure, which depicted what looks like an emaciated pre-enlightenment Buddha and an animated skeleton. Apparently this temple (which was originally in Nishishinjuku until it burned down in World War II; the grave and main temple were moved to Karasuyama separately) has a 3-meter-tall "grave of 658 unknown people" who died in the 1782-88 Great Tenmei Famine, and I have a suspicion this stone thing is it...




No. 18: Senkoji. Again, fairly unremarkable temple building, but the grave of well-known ukiyo-e artist Kitagawa Utamaro is located here.



No. 7: Shinryuji. This temple was originally a prayer hall for the Tokugawa family and was moved to Karasuyama after it was damaged in the 1923 earrthwake. I mostly loved it for the tricolored woven rope hung by its offerings box and the fearsome dragon spout dripping water. 





No. 24: Jofukuji. This temple has been around since 1511! To be honest the building is pretty heinous, but the statues of humorous tanuki (raccoon dogs) make this a pretty intriguing pit stop. 



Overall, this was an incredibly soothing way to spend a few hours. Most of the temples were completely deserted, giving me ample time to wander around, peer at details, and take photos without having to wait for people to get out of the way. While these temples don't have the same grandeur of other more famous locations such as Sensoji, they more than make up it in sheer tranquility. 

So here's a few more shots of other gorgeous facades to close out the blog. Maybe some other weekend I'll return to check off the remaining 5 or so I didn't make it to. 

No. 9: Shooin

No. 10: Myoyuji

No. 5: Joeiji

No. 19: Eiganji

No. 23: Genshoji

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

文化祭!(Bunkasai--Cultural Festival Days 1 and 2) and Man I'm Tired!

So this weekend was Musashino Joshi's annual Cultural Festival, an event that all high schools (I would assume) have, where the school is open to the public and classes and clubs put on events, or set up quiz games or food booths. Essentially it's like a carnival. Traditional culture...not so much (though there are aspects of it). Mostly it's just good fun. My class was doing a chocolate banana food booth, so on Friday (the school-wide prep day, even though techincally it was another Japanese holiday) we got cardboard and began making our booth, which was Hawaiian themed. And you'd think it wouldn't take very long, but it took the entire day and then about half an hour on Saturday. (Also, what' you're seeing is Summer Uniform Form 1.5, where there's the sweater over the shirt.) But in the end the booth turned out pretty sweet, if I may say so myself: The top says Chocobana, and the sides of the poles are made to look like palm trees with a monkay on it

Homecoming

This is it. It's Friday, February 3rd and in less than 24 hours I will leave this house for Tokyo train station, which will take me to the airport, which will take me...home. Most of this week has been taken up with goodbyes: to schoolmates and teachers, and later, close friends. There were tears involved. I think the photos will do it a lot more justice than I could: Kohei, from tennis group. All the tennis people got together for dinner at an okonomiyaki (think cabbage pancake, with yummy stuff like shrimp in it) but first we went to a boardwalk which had nighttime light shows. Top: Anime Club. They threw a small party for me, where we ate lots of food and watched (what else) anime and talked. Bottom: one of my English classes. They asked me to teach them an American game for the last day, so I taught everyone how to play Heads-Up 7-Up. They were pretty good at it. The other exchange student, Nom, and my Japanese teacher. The last view of school: the walk leading u

Enoshima: The Heavenly Maiden and the Dragon

This past Monday was a national holiday -- Mountain Day -- so, of course, Troy and I headed to the beach instead. Well, to an island near a beach since (as some of you may know) I'm not exactly the beach-going type. Plus I'd just climbed Mount Fuji, which was more than enough mountain for me. Enoshima is a small island off the coast of Kanagawa Prefecture, fairly near Kamakura. It's connected to the mainland via a bridge, so you can just stroll on over from the train station. The entire island is dedicated to Benzaitan, the goddess of everything that flows -- time, water, speech, music, and knowledge. According to the "Enoshima Engi," (a history of the shrines and temples on Enoshima) there's also a legend associated with the creation of the island involving Benzaitan and a dragon. In brief, the area around Enoshima was once wracked by violent storms and earthquakes. Eventually the tumult ended and a heavenly maiden (Benzaitan) descended from the clouds.