Skip to main content

Making Sushi and Dazzling 5th Graders (Or is it 6th Graders?)

Come one come all and listen to the tale of Claire, an English speaking girl who has to catch a train by herself to a strange location known as the Ooizumi-gakuen station! You will be dazzled with the history of her wit and skills at navigation!
(As if!)
Sunday was an AFS-Nerima chapter event, where Valeria and another exchange student, Huang (who is from Vietnam) were going to make sushi! Yummeh, I know. Anyhow, I had to get there myself, and my host mom printed out a sheet with my train times: I had to take the Seibu-Shinjuku train from my home station to Tokorozawa, which is big and busy. Once at Tokorozawa I had a minute to find my transfer and get on it.

I missed it.

So there is Claire, standing in this station trying to figure out the map of what trains go where. And taking an educated guess, she gets on the Ikebukuro train which seems like it'll work.

Fortunently, it does. CRISIS AVERTED!

There ended up being quite a group of us: Valeria, Huang and me, plus some AFS volunteers/ moms and some Japanese students who are going to be exchange students next year:
But look at all the yummy food we made:
I made most of those, except the one where the lettuce is exploding. That's not mine. They were YUMMEH, and I know I can make them again if I get the right ingrediants, and make some sticky rice. (So Mom, Dad, Pete you're in luck!) And yes, some of that is meat and cheese.

Then we made this fruit-cocktail dessert thing with shirotama, literally "white balls", which is some rice-type thing? It's chewy and doesn't really have much flavor, but when you eat it with the fruit it's pretty good.

Then Valeria, Huang and I had to give brief presentations on our home countries. But guess who forgot her flashdrive with the presentation on it?
I'll give you some time.
.....

If you guessed Claire, you were right! So I ended up using a whiteboard and making some inaccurate drawings of the US and famous Chicago landmarks and just generally babbling on. It worked all right!

Then today, the 24th, my school had some standardized tests, so I didn't have school. Instead, I went with another exchange student in the highschool and three exchange students from the University section of Musashino Joshi to give country presentations to Elementary School 4th years, which I THINK translates into 5th grade here (they were 10) but I'm not 100% sure).

Being rather horrible with names, I don't remember them. But, going from left to right they're from the Philippines, Korea and China.

We each went to different classrooms and gave presentations. I brought a poster, pictures, some American money and a book in English. The talking went all right, but the pictures, money and book really impressed them. So it all ended well. Afterwards we played this game where you toss sticks in the air and move pieces around a board (my team won) and ate lunch together. It was a BLAST!

Peace everyone, Claire out!

Comments

  1. I can't wait for you to make us some of this delicious looking food!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

文化祭!(Bunkasai--Cultural Festival Days 1 and 2) and Man I'm Tired!

So this weekend was Musashino Joshi's annual Cultural Festival, an event that all high schools (I would assume) have, where the school is open to the public and classes and clubs put on events, or set up quiz games or food booths. Essentially it's like a carnival. Traditional culture...not so much (though there are aspects of it). Mostly it's just good fun. My class was doing a chocolate banana food booth, so on Friday (the school-wide prep day, even though techincally it was another Japanese holiday) we got cardboard and began making our booth, which was Hawaiian themed. And you'd think it wouldn't take very long, but it took the entire day and then about half an hour on Saturday. (Also, what' you're seeing is Summer Uniform Form 1.5, where there's the sweater over the shirt.) But in the end the booth turned out pretty sweet, if I may say so myself: The top says Chocobana, and the sides of the poles are made to look like palm trees with a monkay on it

Enoshima: The Heavenly Maiden and the Dragon

This past Monday was a national holiday -- Mountain Day -- so, of course, Troy and I headed to the beach instead. Well, to an island near a beach since (as some of you may know) I'm not exactly the beach-going type. Plus I'd just climbed Mount Fuji, which was more than enough mountain for me. Enoshima is a small island off the coast of Kanagawa Prefecture, fairly near Kamakura. It's connected to the mainland via a bridge, so you can just stroll on over from the train station. The entire island is dedicated to Benzaitan, the goddess of everything that flows -- time, water, speech, music, and knowledge. According to the "Enoshima Engi," (a history of the shrines and temples on Enoshima) there's also a legend associated with the creation of the island involving Benzaitan and a dragon. In brief, the area around Enoshima was once wracked by violent storms and earthquakes. Eventually the tumult ended and a heavenly maiden (Benzaitan) descended from the clouds.

Homecoming

This is it. It's Friday, February 3rd and in less than 24 hours I will leave this house for Tokyo train station, which will take me to the airport, which will take me...home. Most of this week has been taken up with goodbyes: to schoolmates and teachers, and later, close friends. There were tears involved. I think the photos will do it a lot more justice than I could: Kohei, from tennis group. All the tennis people got together for dinner at an okonomiyaki (think cabbage pancake, with yummy stuff like shrimp in it) but first we went to a boardwalk which had nighttime light shows. Top: Anime Club. They threw a small party for me, where we ate lots of food and watched (what else) anime and talked. Bottom: one of my English classes. They asked me to teach them an American game for the last day, so I taught everyone how to play Heads-Up 7-Up. They were pretty good at it. The other exchange student, Nom, and my Japanese teacher. The last view of school: the walk leading u