Skip to main content

Back to my Roots, In a Way

Happy Umi no Hi (or as we would say in English, Ocean Day)! Umi no Hi is one of Japan's plentiful national holidays, and is not the only one that is dedicated (arbitrarily?) to some force of nature.

I finished up my training yesterday. They had us work in the store our classroom was located in for a few hours, albeit under supervision. So I greeted customers, helped a few find the items they were looking for, rang up an order slip for a pillow, and helped pack and wrap items at the registers when they were busy. It was a fast-paced few hours, so I can tell that my workdays will always be busy and changing.

I won't lie when I say I'm nervous for tomorrow--my first real day of work. All I can do though is try to remember the things I learned over this past week to the best of my ability and approach all new learning opportunities with a smile and a can-do attitude. I'm trying to keep the Yale Glee Club's unofficial motto in mind here: "Always be the first to help out and the last to complain."

That being said, I had quite a busy day today and was joined by a few special people along the way.

First, I went to check out St. Alban's the only English-language Episcopalian church in Tokyo, if not Japan.





It was a charming wooden structure that the Pastor informed me was built in the post-war period, which explains why it has some prime real estate just a short distance away from Tokyo Tower. It has a decent-sized plot of land with a nursery, a small cabin for boy and girl scouts, office space, and the other trimmings that usually accompany an active church.


I wasn't able to stay for long because there was an ordination happening at the catholic chapel next door and the Pastor (as well as everyone else in the complex) was attending. So I chilled by myself at a coffee house/cafe type thing I found down the street and took advantage of their free wifi and plug space for my phone (for those of you interested, I provided a link to its website under the "Coffee" section of my blog; more detailed description to come).

Then I went and met up with these fun people:


My cousins, Andrew and Brian! They're finishing up an extensive trip through Asia and Tokyo is their final stop in Japan. So together we toured the Meiji Jingu shrine and meandered through Harajuku, enjoying the crowd and the eclectic sights.




 Meiji Jingu and the bustling, eclectic Harajuku shopping area are right across the street from each other. It struck me, as I came back here with other people, that this juxtaposition of tradition/serenity and modernity/capitalism/riotous color were what drew me to Japan in the first place eight years ago when I first came with my family on a Yale GALE (Global Alumni Leadership Exchange) trip, not that I was an aluma of the university at the time, merely an aspiring one. Returning here on the eve of my first post-grad job seemed fortuitous in a way, given my jangling nerves and fits of worry that I wouldn't actually be good enough to do it, because it reminded me why I loved Japan in the first place. Now I just have to keep that love in mind through the inevitable frustrations and stresses of working life!


Crepes might help. :)

We finished out the evening with ramen, from my favorite ramen joint, Tsurugi-men! (In case you're interested, HERE'S a link to their website.) This ramen shop's unique feature is that they fry their noodles, so there's this nice crispy layer to them that adds both flavor and texture to the bowl. Their broth is also really rich and meaty, and it stands up GREAT with the thicker, more flavorful noodles.


As a bowl of ramen goes, it's pretty perfect. And it's the first time I've had ramen since I got here, which shocks even me. I've been trying to cook as much as possible (keep your eyes out for a food-themed post later this week!) so I've hardly eaten out at all...

Wish me luck for tomorrow, knock on wood, send up a prayer, what have you. Much obliged all around.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Final Touring Excursions

Tomorrow is my last day. It felt strange to write that sentence, knowing that I've been gone six weeks, which feels like both no time at all but also forever. Even though this is my fifth time coming to Japan (and the fourth for an protracted trip), the coming-and-going is something I don't get used to. Just as I start getting over my "ugh, I just want to go home" hump and settling in, well, it actually IS time to go home.

What have I done the past few days?

Well, on Sunday my host family and I took a drive to Yamanashi prefecture (re: near Mount Fuji) to visit the Oshino Hakkai, the Eight Sacred Ponds of Oshino. According to the signage, when people used to hike up Mount Fuji for pilgrimages, they would purify themselves in the ponds before starting their journey. And having stuck my hand in an (acceptable) corner of the main pond, Wakuike, it was FREEZING. Some other ponds have specific purposes, however. One was for people who wanted a good marriage, for instance.

Cat Cafe

Today I went with my host brother to a cat cafe for "research". Yes it is a cafe and yes it has (canned) coffee, but also I really really really wanted to go to a cat cafe. By doing a little research, I found one off a convenient train station that not only didn't require a reservation in advance, but had free drinks and was actually significantly less expensive for more time than other cafes. On to Nyankoto!

For cat lovers, this is paradise:

This shop had fifteen cats, each with their own names and personality described in a photo book:

This cat's name is Kinta and he's a mix--though most of the cats there were breeds I was unfamiliar with and had fur of various kinks and degrees of fluffiness. 
They were all very social, active cats as well.

Kinta greeted my host brother by literally jumping on his back. 
The other cats often ran around chasing each other (one was a very energetic kitten, so he was always pouncing on the others) or flopping down to be pet in co…

Shibuya and Ebisu

The past few days I've been in the Shibuya and Ebisu areas (think: south-west side of Tokyo) to check out some of the up-and-coming cafes, as well as wander around the neighborhood. I've decided that wherever I go, I'm going to find something to do in addition to spending 3-5 hours in coffee shops--while the research and the people I meet are incredible I do regret that I don't get to spend as much time exploring the other aspects of Tokyo. 
Yesterday in Shibuya I checked out The Local Coffee Stand, Coffeehouse Nishiya, and The Theater Coffee. The Local is a pretty unassuming space, even though it is on a main street. It's goal is to be the sort of jumping-off point for people just getting in to specialty coffee: they showcase beans from local roaster and run a website called "Good Coffee" in both Japanese and English to help people find "that local spot" in a neighborhood near to them. I'm including a link to the site, HERE. CLICK THIS.

Co…