Skip to main content

Back to my Roots, In a Way

Happy Umi no Hi (or as we would say in English, Ocean Day)! Umi no Hi is one of Japan's plentiful national holidays, and is not the only one that is dedicated (arbitrarily?) to some force of nature.

I finished up my training yesterday. They had us work in the store our classroom was located in for a few hours, albeit under supervision. So I greeted customers, helped a few find the items they were looking for, rang up an order slip for a pillow, and helped pack and wrap items at the registers when they were busy. It was a fast-paced few hours, so I can tell that my workdays will always be busy and changing.

I won't lie when I say I'm nervous for tomorrow--my first real day of work. All I can do though is try to remember the things I learned over this past week to the best of my ability and approach all new learning opportunities with a smile and a can-do attitude. I'm trying to keep the Yale Glee Club's unofficial motto in mind here: "Always be the first to help out and the last to complain."

That being said, I had quite a busy day today and was joined by a few special people along the way.

First, I went to check out St. Alban's the only English-language Episcopalian church in Tokyo, if not Japan.





It was a charming wooden structure that the Pastor informed me was built in the post-war period, which explains why it has some prime real estate just a short distance away from Tokyo Tower. It has a decent-sized plot of land with a nursery, a small cabin for boy and girl scouts, office space, and the other trimmings that usually accompany an active church.


I wasn't able to stay for long because there was an ordination happening at the catholic chapel next door and the Pastor (as well as everyone else in the complex) was attending. So I chilled by myself at a coffee house/cafe type thing I found down the street and took advantage of their free wifi and plug space for my phone (for those of you interested, I provided a link to its website under the "Coffee" section of my blog; more detailed description to come).

Then I went and met up with these fun people:


My cousins, Andrew and Brian! They're finishing up an extensive trip through Asia and Tokyo is their final stop in Japan. So together we toured the Meiji Jingu shrine and meandered through Harajuku, enjoying the crowd and the eclectic sights.




 Meiji Jingu and the bustling, eclectic Harajuku shopping area are right across the street from each other. It struck me, as I came back here with other people, that this juxtaposition of tradition/serenity and modernity/capitalism/riotous color were what drew me to Japan in the first place eight years ago when I first came with my family on a Yale GALE (Global Alumni Leadership Exchange) trip, not that I was an aluma of the university at the time, merely an aspiring one. Returning here on the eve of my first post-grad job seemed fortuitous in a way, given my jangling nerves and fits of worry that I wouldn't actually be good enough to do it, because it reminded me why I loved Japan in the first place. Now I just have to keep that love in mind through the inevitable frustrations and stresses of working life!


Crepes might help. :)

We finished out the evening with ramen, from my favorite ramen joint, Tsurugi-men! (In case you're interested, HERE'S a link to their website.) This ramen shop's unique feature is that they fry their noodles, so there's this nice crispy layer to them that adds both flavor and texture to the bowl. Their broth is also really rich and meaty, and it stands up GREAT with the thicker, more flavorful noodles.


As a bowl of ramen goes, it's pretty perfect. And it's the first time I've had ramen since I got here, which shocks even me. I've been trying to cook as much as possible (keep your eyes out for a food-themed post later this week!) so I've hardly eaten out at all...

Wish me luck for tomorrow, knock on wood, send up a prayer, what have you. Much obliged all around.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

文化祭!(Bunkasai--Cultural Festival Days 1 and 2) and Man I'm Tired!

So this weekend was Musashino Joshi's annual Cultural Festival, an event that all high schools (I would assume) have, where the school is open to the public and classes and clubs put on events, or set up quiz games or food booths. Essentially it's like a carnival. Traditional culture...not so much (though there are aspects of it). Mostly it's just good fun. My class was doing a chocolate banana food booth, so on Friday (the school-wide prep day, even though techincally it was another Japanese holiday) we got cardboard and began making our booth, which was Hawaiian themed. And you'd think it wouldn't take very long, but it took the entire day and then about half an hour on Saturday. (Also, what' you're seeing is Summer Uniform Form 1.5, where there's the sweater over the shirt.) But in the end the booth turned out pretty sweet, if I may say so myself: The top says Chocobana, and the sides of the poles are made to look like palm trees with a monkay on it

Enoshima: The Heavenly Maiden and the Dragon

This past Monday was a national holiday -- Mountain Day -- so, of course, Troy and I headed to the beach instead. Well, to an island near a beach since (as some of you may know) I'm not exactly the beach-going type. Plus I'd just climbed Mount Fuji, which was more than enough mountain for me. Enoshima is a small island off the coast of Kanagawa Prefecture, fairly near Kamakura. It's connected to the mainland via a bridge, so you can just stroll on over from the train station. The entire island is dedicated to Benzaitan, the goddess of everything that flows -- time, water, speech, music, and knowledge. According to the "Enoshima Engi," (a history of the shrines and temples on Enoshima) there's also a legend associated with the creation of the island involving Benzaitan and a dragon. In brief, the area around Enoshima was once wracked by violent storms and earthquakes. Eventually the tumult ended and a heavenly maiden (Benzaitan) descended from the clouds.

Homecoming

This is it. It's Friday, February 3rd and in less than 24 hours I will leave this house for Tokyo train station, which will take me to the airport, which will take me...home. Most of this week has been taken up with goodbyes: to schoolmates and teachers, and later, close friends. There were tears involved. I think the photos will do it a lot more justice than I could: Kohei, from tennis group. All the tennis people got together for dinner at an okonomiyaki (think cabbage pancake, with yummy stuff like shrimp in it) but first we went to a boardwalk which had nighttime light shows. Top: Anime Club. They threw a small party for me, where we ate lots of food and watched (what else) anime and talked. Bottom: one of my English classes. They asked me to teach them an American game for the last day, so I taught everyone how to play Heads-Up 7-Up. They were pretty good at it. The other exchange student, Nom, and my Japanese teacher. The last view of school: the walk leading u