Skip to main content

Weekend? What Weekend?

I have officially lost all sense of time, here in Japan. 

Technically yesterday was Saturday and today was Sunday--the weekend, a joyous time for most people!--but for me I just had more job training. I'm looking forward, instead, to this upcoming Wednesday and Thursday when I have my next two days off: my newest "weekend." Conversely, I like commuting to work/training MORE on the weekends because the morning trains are much less crowded. Maybe the days of the week would matter more if I had friends I could meet up with on a regular basis, but since I can only see people I know here irregularly, if at all, if doesn't really matter much if my days off synchronize with everyone else's.  

So on my last two days off I did several things, some fun and some practical. The practical side consisted of doing laundry on one of this month's rare sunny days--since everything has to dry outside, whenever there's a sunny day in the midst of the rainy period, most balconies will be festooned with clothes out to dry, flapping gently in the breeze. I also did things like grocery shopping, and my repertoire of things I can make to feed myself on the cheap (I won't get paid until the end of this month) is slowly increasing. Now I can make marinated chicken breasts, tarako pasta (pasta with a sauce made from fish roe and topped with slivered dried seaweed), spaghetti and meatballs, Japanese sweet potatoes, and this delicious open-faced sandwich thing where I slather a piece of toast in ricotta cheese and top it with two scrambled eggs. I'm limited by finances, but also by ingredients (something as basic to me as Italian sausage is not at my local supermarket, for instance), kitchen space, and kitchen utensils. I DID just buy a rice cooker today, so now I can expand my meals to include varieties of "rice-with-stuff," hopefully of the green and healthy variety. 

I feel bad, though, that I don't have more exciting things to report to you guys...



One of the other things I did was stop at my assigned Nitori store to give my greetings to the tenchou (the head of the store) the fuku-tenchou (the vice-head of the store) and the floor managers. That building is part of the Takashimaya Department Store complex in Shinjuku, and Nitori occupies floors 1-5. Everyone seems very nice, and I got a brief explanation of where I go to change etc. when I arrive for my shifts. 


The next day I got lunch at an Alice in Wonderland-themed cafe. The food was, somewhat surprisingly, not terribly "themed," but the space itself was overwhelmingly cutesy. The waitresses wore blue maid uniforms, and the one male server I saw had a top hat on. When you were ready to order you had to call out "Alice" in a loud voice to get the attention of someone. It was weird.



And here's a photo of the Shibuya Scramble--that famous intersection where there's a literal mass of people crossing the street(s) when the walk sign is on. 

Two more days of training and then I get two more days off. Now I'm learning more practical things like how to work the in-store computer system, how to interact with customers, and how to do things like sign people up for membership cards. Just wait til I get my hands on a cash register! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

文化祭!(Bunkasai--Cultural Festival Days 1 and 2) and Man I'm Tired!

So this weekend was Musashino Joshi's annual Cultural Festival, an event that all high schools (I would assume) have, where the school is open to the public and classes and clubs put on events, or set up quiz games or food booths. Essentially it's like a carnival. Traditional culture...not so much (though there are aspects of it). Mostly it's just good fun. My class was doing a chocolate banana food booth, so on Friday (the school-wide prep day, even though techincally it was another Japanese holiday) we got cardboard and began making our booth, which was Hawaiian themed. And you'd think it wouldn't take very long, but it took the entire day and then about half an hour on Saturday. (Also, what' you're seeing is Summer Uniform Form 1.5, where there's the sweater over the shirt.) But in the end the booth turned out pretty sweet, if I may say so myself: The top says Chocobana, and the sides of the poles are made to look like palm trees with a monkay on it

Enoshima: The Heavenly Maiden and the Dragon

This past Monday was a national holiday -- Mountain Day -- so, of course, Troy and I headed to the beach instead. Well, to an island near a beach since (as some of you may know) I'm not exactly the beach-going type. Plus I'd just climbed Mount Fuji, which was more than enough mountain for me. Enoshima is a small island off the coast of Kanagawa Prefecture, fairly near Kamakura. It's connected to the mainland via a bridge, so you can just stroll on over from the train station. The entire island is dedicated to Benzaitan, the goddess of everything that flows -- time, water, speech, music, and knowledge. According to the "Enoshima Engi," (a history of the shrines and temples on Enoshima) there's also a legend associated with the creation of the island involving Benzaitan and a dragon. In brief, the area around Enoshima was once wracked by violent storms and earthquakes. Eventually the tumult ended and a heavenly maiden (Benzaitan) descended from the clouds.

Homecoming

This is it. It's Friday, February 3rd and in less than 24 hours I will leave this house for Tokyo train station, which will take me to the airport, which will take me...home. Most of this week has been taken up with goodbyes: to schoolmates and teachers, and later, close friends. There were tears involved. I think the photos will do it a lot more justice than I could: Kohei, from tennis group. All the tennis people got together for dinner at an okonomiyaki (think cabbage pancake, with yummy stuff like shrimp in it) but first we went to a boardwalk which had nighttime light shows. Top: Anime Club. They threw a small party for me, where we ate lots of food and watched (what else) anime and talked. Bottom: one of my English classes. They asked me to teach them an American game for the last day, so I taught everyone how to play Heads-Up 7-Up. They were pretty good at it. The other exchange student, Nom, and my Japanese teacher. The last view of school: the walk leading u