Skip to main content

Semi-Homemade Cooking with Claire Williamson

Ok, so, yes the title of this post is a total ripoff of "Semi-Homemade Cooking with Sandra Lee," but it's true that I'm trying to actually feed myself while I'm here.


In fact, as you can see by this weirdly written chart, I've even been trying to "meal plan," or at least make sure that when I cook I eat all the leftovers since I'm still limping along to my first paycheck (it should arrive on the 25th!). As you can see, it becomes a work-in-progress as meals get shifted around or as ingredients start to look a little funky in the fridge (I had to throw out two bags of spinach today because for some reason they were secreting some weird brown liquid...which was not only gross but a waste of money. Lesson learned: buy your perishables as close to the day you were planning to make/eat them as possible.)

But I've had some decent successes, too! I have to find things that I can make in one pot without an oven, and I've also been prioritizing things that I can make in bulk and either refrigerate or freeze for later. They're all still simple things at this point, but given that I've really only baked and never cooked for myself, well, I'm a teensy bit proud of myself. And everyone at training, and now work, is impressed I bring my own food. It's true that 80% of the people buy lunch and/or just eat cup ramen so it's not insignificant that I cook for myself.

Some examples (excuse the plain photo presentation):

Spaghetti with homemade meatballs.



Miso-glazed Japanese eggplant with sesame seeds.



Provencal-inspired marinated chicken with a steamed Japanese sweet potato.



Tofu and spinach stir-fry over rice and a "deconstructed" caprese salad because I had an extra chopped tomato lying around.



Tortilla with peanut butter (which I found! I found it at a specialty grocery store! Skippy my love...), banana, and honey (usually for breakfast).



Beef and cheese burrito with salsa and some soft tofu in soy sauce.



Miso-fried rice with a fried egg, over easy, on top. This rice was a happy accident. I was trying to make yaki onigiri (grilled rice balls) but they kept falling apart so I just gave up and mashed up all the rice and the miso I'd put in and it became this delicious, caramelized, slightly salty bowl of deliciousness.

I've got a few more experimental recipes in the works (and a few I forgot to take pictures of, like my ginger and leek fried rice with egg) but I have a feeling "rice with stuff" and "pasta with stuff" and "chicken with sides of rice and veggies and stuff" will be my staple meals.

But I'd still kill for an oven to bake in.
There's supposed to be bread recipes you can make in a rice cooker so I just might have to try one out...

Comments

  1. Hi Claire! I stumbled on your blog today and it sounds like we've had similar trajectories, so I thought I'd post a comment and reach out!
    I graduated from Dartmouth in 2016 after doing 2 study-abroads and 1 internship stint in Japan, managed to grab a job at BCF, and arrived in Japan in February of this year. Currently living in Funabashi in Chiba Prefecture near where my job is, but I go into Tokyo almost every weekend.
    I was thinking maybe we could go grab coffee sometime and share our experiences about Japan? Let me know!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful illustrated information. I thank you about that. No doubt it will be very useful for my future projects. Would like to see some other posts on the same subject!
    rice prioritization

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

文化祭!(Bunkasai--Cultural Festival Days 1 and 2) and Man I'm Tired!

So this weekend was Musashino Joshi's annual Cultural Festival, an event that all high schools (I would assume) have, where the school is open to the public and classes and clubs put on events, or set up quiz games or food booths. Essentially it's like a carnival. Traditional culture...not so much (though there are aspects of it). Mostly it's just good fun. My class was doing a chocolate banana food booth, so on Friday (the school-wide prep day, even though techincally it was another Japanese holiday) we got cardboard and began making our booth, which was Hawaiian themed. And you'd think it wouldn't take very long, but it took the entire day and then about half an hour on Saturday. (Also, what' you're seeing is Summer Uniform Form 1.5, where there's the sweater over the shirt.) But in the end the booth turned out pretty sweet, if I may say so myself: The top says Chocobana, and the sides of the poles are made to look like palm trees with a monkay on it

Enoshima: The Heavenly Maiden and the Dragon

This past Monday was a national holiday -- Mountain Day -- so, of course, Troy and I headed to the beach instead. Well, to an island near a beach since (as some of you may know) I'm not exactly the beach-going type. Plus I'd just climbed Mount Fuji, which was more than enough mountain for me. Enoshima is a small island off the coast of Kanagawa Prefecture, fairly near Kamakura. It's connected to the mainland via a bridge, so you can just stroll on over from the train station. The entire island is dedicated to Benzaitan, the goddess of everything that flows -- time, water, speech, music, and knowledge. According to the "Enoshima Engi," (a history of the shrines and temples on Enoshima) there's also a legend associated with the creation of the island involving Benzaitan and a dragon. In brief, the area around Enoshima was once wracked by violent storms and earthquakes. Eventually the tumult ended and a heavenly maiden (Benzaitan) descended from the clouds.

Homecoming

This is it. It's Friday, February 3rd and in less than 24 hours I will leave this house for Tokyo train station, which will take me to the airport, which will take me...home. Most of this week has been taken up with goodbyes: to schoolmates and teachers, and later, close friends. There were tears involved. I think the photos will do it a lot more justice than I could: Kohei, from tennis group. All the tennis people got together for dinner at an okonomiyaki (think cabbage pancake, with yummy stuff like shrimp in it) but first we went to a boardwalk which had nighttime light shows. Top: Anime Club. They threw a small party for me, where we ate lots of food and watched (what else) anime and talked. Bottom: one of my English classes. They asked me to teach them an American game for the last day, so I taught everyone how to play Heads-Up 7-Up. They were pretty good at it. The other exchange student, Nom, and my Japanese teacher. The last view of school: the walk leading u